Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New to Me Vol. 3

Welcome to a new installation of New to Me!

This weeks comp. features:

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (2008)
Jeff Beck - Jeff(2003)
Medeski, Matrin and Wood - (1996)
The Bug - London Zoo (2008)
Add N to (X) - Avant Hard (1999)
Lightning Bolt - Hyper Magic Mountain (2005)

______________________________________________________________________________________
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

This is the bands debut Album, after putting out two EP's in 2008. This album is actually meant to be listened to as a whole, so if you dig the songs please get the entire album. This is a Harmony Rich band, much like that of the Beach Boys,who have a sick sound that creates a serene environment within you mind.

Sun It Rises
Ragged Wood
He Doesn't Know Why

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Bug - London Zoo

Once again not sure where I got this, I think I was looking for a Soul Coughing album of the same name. This was an amazing find tho, released on 2008 "The bug" is a project started by Kevin Martin in '96, heavy influence in dub and reggae, with a touch of electronica. No for everyone, but you should at least give it a chance. Each song has a featured artist, so feel free to check them out too.

Insane ft. Warrior Queen
Jah War ft. Flowdan
Skeng ft. Flowdan, Killa P

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Jeff Beck - Jeff

Yes, I am a little behind sometimes, but hell there is alot of music to listen to out there. Jeff Beck has been performing since the late 70's with the Jeff Beck band w/ Rod Stewart. Anyway, having just been introduced to this amazing guitarist, a couple of months ago, it wasn't till recently I actually sat down and listened to these albums. These are tracks off his 2003 release, his last studio album, he has released some live stuff since. Sit back, relax and enjoy.

So What
Hot Rod Honeymoon
JB's Blues

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Lightning Bolt

I do dig this band, I am not going to lie it took me a couple tries to understand where these guys were coming from. Not for everyone, very heavy guitar and sloppy drum solos, but the noise created is pretty stellar. Their touring history with bands such as Melt Banana and the Locust, may give you an impression of this bands sound. I would suggest starting off with Bizarro Zarro Land, and go from there.

Bizarro Zarro Land
2 Morro Morro Land
Birdy

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Medeski, Martin and Wood - Shack Man

Just what I thought, you wanted to hear some improv groove based jazz, me too. I picked one of their earlier albums, because it was the album I spent the most time with and enjoyed thoroughly. M,M & W, just recently finished an album with John Scofield, who I will now have to add to next weeks comp., so if you like this check out that album too. These song pretty much speak for themselves, curl up in a comfortable place and play these three tracks, but please get the whole album if you really enjoy it.

Strance of the Red Gator
Bubblehouse
Spy Kiss

____________________________________________________________________________________

Add N to (X)

To start this off I will let you know that this is a Post-Rock/Experimental band. I would suggest listing to "Steve's going to teach himself who's boss" to get a feel for the type of music. I found this band very interesting because they only use vintage synth and the proto-electronica devices crafted in the 1960s and '70s. This album came out in 1999, it took me a few albums to really fall in love with this one. I would ask you to stick with this album give it a couple of different chances while you are in different moods, it should fit one of them.

Robot New York
Steve's Going to Teach Himself Who is Boss
Fyuz

____________________________________________________________________________________

That is all for this week, I hope that you are enjoying these, please give me some feedback on these if you could. Likes, dislikes, reasons why?. also feel free to comment on the format of this blog.

Without further delay here is the sendspace link.

New to Me Vol. 3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qppxm9

Have a wonderful day, and tell your friends.

The Native

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mix of stuff to just be getting into -- sometimes I wish I could reset my ear-holes and hear stuff for the first time again… How fresh it all is before we subconsciously imprint it with our meat-space experiences.

Lightning Bolt and Add N to (X) are both bands I've enjoyed, but never really dug that deep into. You're forcing me to pursue them further, You bastard. MMW is the real gem here though, and they evolved far past the "Shack Man" era. "The Dropper" was probably their most 'out there' album… twisted my head up good and stayed on repeat for years…

Well, off to annoy the neighbors with late-night stereophonics!

Kevin G. said...

I am glad I can help keeping the neighbos awake at night, that is one of my life goals. Yeah realizing what a challenge it is to listen to everything I have, some time it is way to much.

And I still have those cds you gave me they are sitting next to my pc waiting to be heard. I will get you back some time.

Enjoy the mix check out the past two also.