Friday, March 6, 2009

New to Me Vol.2

Hey here is another installment of New to You:

This week we have some interesting sounds from days of old, plus some new releases.

First up is: Benga - Diary of An Afro Warrior

I am not sure where or whom I got this artist from all I know is he is sick. Listen to Crunked Up; the beats are really solid. Sorry to those who do not enjoy electronica. This English dubstepper is well worth a listen.

1. Crunked Up
2. E Trips
3. Go Tell Them

D.O.C - No One Can do It Better

This is a throw back, because I am currently looking into old school hip hop. These are from DOC's debut album, produced by Dr. Dre. Due to a car accident he next album was not put out till 7 years later, but enjoy this young rapper from Texas first album.

1. Lend Me an Ear
2. Beautiful but Deadly
3. Portrait of a Masterpiece

Last Shadow Puppets - Age of Understatement

Once again this just appeared on my computer, this is a team up between Artic Monkeys and the Little Flames, inspired by Scott Walker and David Bowie. When I heard the first song I knew I was in for something good, a little different from the rest of the stuff on this comp. but awesome nonetheless. Enjoy.

1. Seperate and Even Deadly
2. Calm like You
3. Only the Truth

Lee "Scratch" Perry - Repentance

For those of you who are not familiar with dub, Perry is a master of the form. I got this album months ago, when I found out Andrew W.K. was producing this album, thought it was a great collaboration. The sound that is established is classic dub beat with a little electronica, which for me is an excellent progression of music. Give it a listen not for everyone. Also if you are interested in Lee Perry, get the album Super Ape, it will change your life. Also the song Santa Claus is based off of AWK club of the same name in NY.

1. Shine
2. War Dance
3. Santa Claus

Ratatat - FL3

Wasn't sure waht to expect from this album, but when it came on I was surrounded by wonderful beats that rode out the entire album. I enjoyed listening to this very much.

1. Falcon Job
2. Mirando
3. Gipsy Threat

Shystie - Diamond in the Dirt

This British female rapper, can spit like no one else I have ever heard, her beats are sometimes something to be desired. Take a listen to some tracks, this is off of her debut album from a couple of years ago. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on Hip Hop battles please comment. Can't get enough Shystie, listen to Lady Sovereign album Vertically Challenged she makes an appearance.

1. One Wish
2. Questions
3. Step Bac

Kool Keith - Return of Dr. Octagon

This is on here because he in coming on April 4th and want to get some people interested. I love most of this album there are some songs that don't quite make this a great album but I enjoy these three songs. quick story, "I was blasting this while stuck in traffic, I look to my left and the BF and GF where bumming to the the sounds coming out of my car. Stuck for about 20 mins we listened to just about the whole albums exchanged info and went on our ways." Anyways, enjoy I am trying to go to the show at Johnny Brenda's let me know.

1. Aliens
2. Trees
3. Perfect World

Ann Beretta - New Union...Old Glory

Asking who this is, well I figured punk had made almost no appearance on any of these comps. so I picked Ann Beretta, a band from Richmond VA. I would describe these guy as some what of a punk revival, but not quite badass. I enjoy thier tunes I hope you will to. Also if anyone has some new punk bands I should be listening to please pass them along.

1. Better Days
2. Nowhere Generation
3. Latchkey World



Click the link to get the comp.:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rdkjgg

No comments: